Application for a New Sri Lankan Passport
For a Minor
Sri Lankan passports for Underage (Minor) Applicants/ Adopted Children
(Validity period – Only for 3 years)
Who is a minor?
Any person below 16 years of age is considered as a minor for this purpose.
How can a minor apply for Sri Lankan passport?
- Both mother and father or the legal guardian of the applicant should accompany him/her when the applicant comes to the application accepting office to submit the application.
- A letter of consent from a parent or the legal guardian should be attached to the application.
What are the documents required to be submitted along with the completed application?
- Birth certificate of the applicant with a photocopy.
- Photo studio acknowledgement
- Parent’s Passport (with photocopies of data page & child page).
- If parents do not have passports submit the National Identity Card.
- Consent Letter of the Parents. Either the parents or the legal guardian of the applicant should accompany
- If applying passport for an adopted child, following additional documents are required
- Certificate of Adoption
- The court order
- A letter from the Commissioner of Probation and Child Care
- Special Notes – Originals of the documents must be submitted along with photocopies.
- The following documents should be submitted under the special circumstances mentioned below.
- If the applicant is born outside of Sri Lanka, Consular Birth Certificate and Citizenship Registration Certificate.
- If parent(s) of the applicant do not possess a valid Sri Lankan passport, an affidavit confirming that fact and the National Identity Card.
- If parent(s) of the applicant are dead, Death Certificate(s), Legal Guardian’s Identification Document, Guardian’s consent letter and a report from Grama Niladhari attested by the Divisional Secretary.
- If one or both parents are abroad, the consent letter and the passport copies of parents should be certified by the relevant Sri Lankan Mission.
- If both parents are abroad acceptable authorization letter given by the parents to the legal guardian should be certified of the relevant Sri Lankan Mission.
- If the parents are divorced, Divorce Certificate and the court order stating the right to the custody of the child/ children.
- If the child has been abandoned by the parents, certified copy of the police report and a confirmation letter from the Grama Niladhari countersigned by the Divisional Secretary.
Can children included in parents’ passport?
- Inclusion of children in parent passports will no longer be allowed. Children irrespective of age should obtain separate passports.
- Forward your application to the High Commission in Islamabad or Consulate Office in Karachi.
- In the case of lost or stolen passport, different application procedure will apply. Please see Lost or Stolen Passport Application section.
- The issuing authority is the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka. Therefore, the total processing time for a new passport is 8-12 weeks, from the date of submission of the completed application.
- Usually the High Commission will forward complete applications to the ‘Department’, once a Month by Diplomatic bag.
Form K-LM.35 with 01 copy Can be downloaded from www.immigration.gov.lk
(Please note that this is deferent to the application for over 16 years of age)
(Note : Please read the instructions carefully before filling the application form)
2If the minor has a Current Passport,
with 02 photocopies of data page and alteration page
3Original birth certificate
(If the applicant was born in Sri Lanka only) With 02 photocopies (Birth Certificates issued by the Registrar General, District Registrar, Divisional Registrar only. (Photocopies certified by a third parties and translations will not be accepted by the Department of Immigration and Emigration Sri Lanka.)
4Original Citizenship certificate
(If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka only) with 02 photocopies, issued by the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Sri Lanka OR a copy of the payment receipt for Citizenship (Sri Lankan citizenship applied and pending) registration will be accepted.
Note: If an applicant born outside Sri Lanka and has reached 21 years, he/she should submit the Citizenship Certificate with the endorsement in the reverse side of the certificate, regarding the applicant’s continuation of Sri Lankan nationality.
5Consent letter signed by both parents
A letter (addressed to Controller General/Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka) with signatures of both parents stating that they have no objection to issue a separate passport to their child. (Written in English OR Sinhala OR Tamil)
6Parents’ passport copies
02 copies each of both parents’ bio page of the passports,Alteration and Observation pages and Children pages of the both parents and parents visa. (Copy of the VEVO or original visa pages)
7Original marriage certificate of parents with 02 photo copies
(If parent are divorced, divorced certificate/court decision together with the custody of the child/children) (if death of a parent, original of the death certificate)
The certificate of adoption, the court order and a letter of the Commissioner of Probation and Child care.
9If the applicant is a dual citizen
02 photocopies of dual citizenship certificate and data page of foreign passport
10If the applicant desires to include his/her Profession in the Passport
02 photocopies of the professional or educational certificates with originals
11If the applicant desires to include his/her Job/ Occupation
A recently obtained service letter, signed by an authorised officer or a valid contract document [original]
12If the applicant desires to include his/her status as a Student
A letter from the University/Institute/College/School [original] should be attached
13If the applicant is a member of the Buddhist clergy
Certificate of Higher ordination (Upasampada Sahathikaya) in addition to the Birth Certificate
14Request letter with all contact details
Address, telephone number, and email address, enabling High Commission to contact applicant speedily.
- Applicant has to pay by Cash to the High Commission or Consulate office.
- Note: Credit/ATM/Debit cards AND personal or Company cheques will not be accepted.
Special Notes (Important)
- Translations will not be accepted as originals;
- All photocopies should be on A4 size paper;
- High Commission will attest the documents and return the originals to the applicant;
- Who can certify the above documents: Hon Consul/Solicitor/JP/Medical Practitioner [GP] can certify above documents? All services provided by Honorary Consuls are free of charge as their services are provided on an honorary basis.
17Few important tips to avoid unnecessary delays
Name in the Passport:
- Passport will be issued in the name given on the Original Sri Lankan Birth Certificate, unless a name change has been done by the Registrar General in Sri Lanka under the item 13 in the birth certificate.
- Change of name done abroad or the current usage of a different name in documents issued by an organization/institute/foreign government will not be taken into consideration.
Permanent Address: Provide your current address with post code.
- 5 cmx 3.5 cm size three (03) color photographs taken in the preceding three months from the date of submission of application are required. The photographs should be clear with full front face, both ears clearly visible and without spectacles or head dress and must be taken against a Blue color background. Photos that do not adhere to these guidelines will not be accepted.
Signature of applicant: Signature of the applicant has to be placed inside both cages without touching the border of the cage.
For minors who are unable to sign, parents can write a part of the child’s name in the signature cages. (Parents must not place their signature or their name)
Declaration of the applicant: Applicant must fill and sign the declaration. If the applicant is unable to sign, a parent can be sign the declaration.