A Sri Lankan citizen can apply for a new passport or passport renewal, while he is in another country, through the Sri Lankan mission in that country or in the nearest country (where a Sri Lankan mission is not available in the resident country). These applications are processed by the Overseas Missions Branch at Immigration Head Office.
A Sri Lankan Citizen by descent or by registration, can apply for a new passport or passport renewal, while he is in another country, through the SRI LANKAN MISSION in that country or in the nearest country (where a Sri Lankan mission is not available in the resident country). These applications are processed by the Overseas Missions Branch at Immigration Head Office in Sri Lanka.
For 10 years and cannot be extended.
Where to apply?
Forward your application to the Sri Lanka High Commission in Islamabad or to the Consulate General Office in Karachi.
When to apply?
On expire of 10 years validity of the existing passport OR pages being exhausted OR physically damaged passport OR for a new born baby.
In the case of lost or stolen passport, different application process will apply.
How long will this take?
The issuing authority is the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka Colombo. Therefore, the total processing time for a new passport is 8-12 weeks, from the date of submission of the duly completed application along with the all the required documents. Usually the High Commission will forward complete applications to the ‘Department’, once a month by Diplomatic bag.
What is the procedure for submitting Biometrics for passports?
The collection of biometrics (fingerprints and digital facial image) from passport applicants has been made mandatory with effect from 1stJanuary 2018 by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka.
All Sri Lankans between the ages 16-60 years applying for a Sri Lankan Passport through the High Commission/Consulate General Office will be required to provide bio metric data to the Department of Immigration and Emigration upon his /her first entry to Sri Lanka.
Please note that departure from Sri Lanka will be allowed only after completion of this requirement.
What is the procedure for Biometric Collection upon arrival in Sri Lanka?
- On arrival in Sri Lanka you should directly report to the Chief Immigration Officer and he will issue a system generated Biometric Data Acquisition Form in duplicate with a unique reference number along with a guidance note.
- The applicant has to fill and sign the Form in duplicate and produce it to the Senior Authorized Officer at the collection desk. One copy of the BDA will be returned to the applicant, to be produced to the Department at the time of biometric enrolment.
Please note that the biometrics cannot be provided at the airport prior to departure
- No payment is required for biometrics;
- Completion of biometric enrolment process will take approximately 45 minutes;
- The Applicants who successfully complete this process will be issued a confirmation form;
- After completion of this process, the system will be automatically activated/updated facilitating the departure of the applicant from Sri Lanka;
- Biometric enrolment process will not change information contained in the passport;
- Passport Application form K-I.M35 has been revised to include client Undertaking Section and This section has to be signed by the applicant;
- Application will not be accepted without the signature of the applicant under any circumstances.
Required documents to be submitted to apply for a new passport (All Countries)
with 02 photocopies of data page and alteration page
3Original birth certificate
(If the applicant was born in Sri Lanka only) With 02 photocopies (Birth Certificates issued by the Registrar General, District Registrar, Divisional Registrar only.) Photocopies certified by third parties and translations will not be accepted by the Department of Immigration and Emigration Sri Lanka.)
4Original Citizenship certificate
(If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka only)
With 02 photocopies (Issued by the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Sri Lanka)
A copy of the payment receipt for Citizenship (Sri Lankan citizenship applied and pending) registration.
Note : If an applicant born outside Sri Lanka and has reached 21 years, he/she should submit the Citizenship Certificate with the endorsement in the reverse side of the certificate, regarding the applicant’s continuation of Sri Lankan nationality.
5Original Marriage certificate (ONLY in the case of name change consequent to marriage)
with 02 photocopies (applicable to female applicants)
6In case of Divorce and if spouse wishes to continue her married name in the new passport
02 photocopies of the court order
7National Identity Card (NIC)
02 certified photocopies if NIC is available
8If the applicant is a dual citizen
With 02 photocopies of dual citizenship certificate and data page of foreign passport
9If the applicant desires to include his / her Profession in the Passport
With 02 photocopies of the professional or educational certificates with originals
10If the applicant desires to include his/her Job/ Occupation
The enrolment letter from the University/Institute/College/School [original]
11If the applicant is a member of the Buddhist clergy
Certificate of Higher ordination (Upasampada Sahathikaya) in addition to the Birth Certificate
12Visa Holders in Countries other than Pakistan
02 photocopies of currant visa page of his/her passport
13Request letter with all contact details
Address, telephone number, and email address, enabling High Commission to contact applicant speedily.
14Applicable fees Within Pakistan
Applicable fees Within Pakistan Pak Rs. 25300.00
- Applicant has to pay by Cash to the High Commission or Consulate office.
- Note: Credit/ATM/Debit cards AND personal or Company cheques will not be accepted.
16Special Notes (Important)
- In case of expired passports, an additional fee will be added for each year from the date of expiry;
- Fees will not be refunded under any circumstance, after issuance of an official receipt;
- Translations will not be accepted as originals;
- All photocopies should be on A4 size paper;
- High Commission will attest the documents and return the originals to the applicant
- If a deletion of child’s name from parent’s passport is required; parent’s passport must be submitted.
- Parents, who are also applying for a new passport along with their child/children, do not need to delete the child’s details from their passports, since parents will be issued with a new passport.